Noblin activity of the knitting variety.

Including Noblin Designs, How to identify Noblins,
Advice on how to catch a Noblin, and How to keep your Noblin happy.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Understanding a knitting pattern

I started knitting a jumper on Friday and have already finished the back and started the front.  The pattern is very easy for the most part as there is no waist shaping.  It's a mass of 4 by 2 rib up to the raglan shaping but I did trip up a bit on the instructions. 

Here is the line:
Work 10 rows dec 1 st at each end of 1st and every following 2nd row.

At first I couldn't fathom it. Then I thought it meant decrease on rows 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 and wondered why it would have me be bonkers and decrease on wrong sides in such a seemingly random fashion.  I checked how many stitches would be decreased overall - from 86 down to 76 = 10 stitches.  So that's two stitches each on five rows.  Lightbulb! It means decrease on the RS rows only.  It's funny how a slightly different phrasing can throw me off, but having deduced it I was back in the game.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Abi -

I have a question about the Summer Nights sweater pattern.

Section A - I’ve repeated five times (for my size). Done.

Section B, the end of the instructions say to work panel five times. Does this mean to repeat section B, ONLY rows 1-12 five times? And not A & B five times?

Next, to repeat section A three more times.
Bind off.

Am I reading this correctly?

This is my first sweater!

Can you please clarify?

Thank you.
Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home