Noblin activity of the knitting variety.

Including Noblin Designs, How to identify Noblins,
Advice on how to catch a Noblin, and How to keep your Noblin happy.

Sunday, April 03, 2011

Crazy

I've just done a crazy thing and signed up for a 10k race in May.  I've been thinking about it for a while and it's in a lovely place near me and oh craps I'm not much of a runner.  I've got 6 weeks to get from where I am now (not total beginner) to being able to mostly run 10k.  At the moment I can mostly jog 4k.  I think. I don't think it's too big a challenge physically if I trained consistently.  I think it's going to be more of a mental challenge to not make excuses and stay at home in front of the tv. I think if I train, I'll be able to jog/walk the whole way in under 1hr30mins.  I say this because I think I can walk the distance in that time! I've entered in the 70minutes plus band (the slowest group) and actually, I think even if I come last, I will feel so proud and amazed at myself for getting round the course. I'm already scared they'll have all packed up and gone home before I finish, or the real runners will be heckling me for clearly being underprepared. I've tried to motivate myself a little extra by buying two new running tops which I can use for my street dance class too.  I think I'll have to count my dance class as cross training and aim to do three runs per week.  So of course, in the first week of training I'll struggle to do three as I'm going to see Jessie J on Tuesday night! I know enough about myself not to run two days in a row or my knees start complaining too much. So this week I'll try Sunday (today, well done me, nearly 4500 steps counted by my pokewalker), Wednesday and then maybe Friday but I might be busy on one of those days.  Ok, there's a lesson then - prioritise the running training to reduce the potential for embarrassment on race day. Alternatively, in the words of Constable Benton Fraser of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home