Noblin activity of the knitting variety.

Including Noblin Designs, How to identify Noblins,
Advice on how to catch a Noblin, and How to keep your Noblin happy.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Gift giving and receiving

Here are some of the photos of the gifts I have given recently. It made me start thinking about why we give handmade gifts and what we expect in return.


A rare sighting of a two headed noblin Happiness and hugs are a good indication that the present has been well received.

Minnie hat Posing for photos is also a good sign. This hat was originally intended for the new baby but big sister got very excited and tried everything on. More to the point, it fitted her.
Maxi socks Not waking up when little socks are placed on your hot feet suggests that you don't mind too much.
Debbie Bliss Cardigan Having a very fussy dad say "wow" suggests that the joint second best thing you've ever made is looking pretty good.
Artistic Demanding to try on your baby brother's tank top and then rushing back to your artistic WIP is surely a good sign.
Here me am Being so excited about blogging your birthday present that you forget to mention who made it (sorry, Mum!) definitely means you love the fact that your mum made you an alpaca bolero for your birthday and you can forget the fact that it is far too hot to wear one.

So what is the point of this post? Well, on Tuesday a certain mini person was given some new socks to replace the ones she had grown out of. The old socks were previously officially the best things I'd ever made so I wanted the replacements to live up them - to surpass them. As the SWS in the first photo is officially the best thing I've ever made the Debbis Bliss Cardigan and the new pair of socks have joint second place. Poor mini one kept trying to put the old ones on, even though they are far too small.

I phoned my sister to find out whether they liked the presents.

Sister: "Oh yes, the tunic top is lovely. She wore it today even though it's hot."

Me: "Oh right. Good. What about the socks?"
(because I really think the socks are amazing)

Sister: "Yes, she tried them on but had to take them off because it's too hot."

Me: "Oh right. But what do you think of them?"

Sister: " *pause* Yes, they're nice."

Me: "James doesn't like them does he?"

I should point out here that James is extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely fussy and will not say he likes something simply because I spent HOURS of my life, slaving in the heat, to keep his daughter happy.

It turns out that James doesn't like them, my sister wasn't sure why, maybe the colour. HMPH to that and double HMPH. Well, mini one likes them and my sister thinks they're pretty good. Even though I've been going on about it forever she still didn't know they were Jaywalkers, but she understands now.

The offending article
So there we are: if you want gratitude for your knitting you have to be very careful when you pick your recipient. Whinge over for the day!

5 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may find an increase to the gratomoeter if you provide electronic gadgets as gifts instead ;)!

(ta for the GC stuff! I got a wavebird the other day)

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can sympathize, as I know the feeling. After giving a friend a large and beautiful mohair shawl and having her look into the package (she didn't even take it out) and say, "Oh - a shawl", I try not to expect anything much any more. If someone loves it (whatever it is), I'm thrilled. If not - well, okay. Next time maybe they'll get chocolate :)

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why you have the blog. Those of us who understand the love and work you put into each gift can properly comment, in lieu of the uneducated receivers.

That being said, the gifts are beautiful, especially the socks

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does James understand anyway?? Uh?!

The Jaywalkers rock and that's that. We all think they are terribly pretty and you've done a superb job with them, so now it's time for a big pat on the shoulder from all your readers... watch out... it's gonna hurt! ;)

xxx


PS: Big sister is such a cutie!!

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grrrrr. Poo to him, they are very pretty socks. I am a meanie with my knitting, I've had too many bad experiences with gift knitting! And some good ones of course but I know who to give to now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home